Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Bacon Jam


Well, here it is. The Bacon Jam. And the name says it all. It's bacony and jammy. To be honest, I was a little afraid when I opened the box from Fedex. For the Bacon Jam looked a little like potted meat in the clear plastic container. It looked a little fatty and a little potted and I was afraid. I brought it home and contemplated just leaving it sit for a while but then I decided I needed to open it right up and give it a shot. So that's what I did. I took a little spoonful and I ate it.


The Jam is smoky and a little sweet, kind of like the sweetness from caramelized onions. The bacon flavor is not as powerful as I expected. In fact, when I told some people that I was hoping to spread it on a BLT, they thought that it would be too much bacon. HA! First, I scoff at the notion that you can have too much bacon. It's simply not possible. Second, I thought the crunchiness of the bacon would enhance the jamminess of the bacon jam. I'll have to try it this weekend.



I put the bacon jam on some toasted sourdough bread from Boudin, along with a few slivers of avocado and some tomatoes from my garden. It was tasty. I think the heat of the toast helped bring the bacon jam a little bit more warmth and the thought of coagulated bacon fat fled from my mind as I contemplated my first bite. The jam is very smoky, with that little tinge of sweetness. Jalapenos would probably be nice with it, giving a little more heat and a bigger kick.

Once Aaron gets home I will make a little up and see what he thinks.

1 comment:

Boiling Point Productions said...

Maybe try it in place of a chutney on pork tenderloin?