Monday, August 17, 2009

Pickles and gardening

My garden has been growing nicely and I have had a lot of cucumbers come in, specifically, pickling cucumbers. They're the little ones that are really crunchy and good for making Japanese style pickles as well. My friend gave me his mother's recipe for Dill Pickles and so I made a batch last week. The recipe is super easy and I was able to get everything done within an hour, from cleaning the pickling container to setting wrap over the top to let sit.

The pickles are very crunchy and perfectly tart. I cut them in quarters or halves depending on the size. I figured that would help them cure quicker and then I would be able to eat them sooner. The recipe basically consists of cucumbers, vinegar, water, pickling spice, garlic, dill, and salt. You put them all in a container and a week later they are pickles.

The recipe said to put them into glass jars, but I didn't want 3-5 glass jars hogging up precious space in my refrigerator. So I went to Target and got a gallon plastic container with a locking lid. It was only about $6 - a real deal! I'm sure it will smell like pickles from here to eternity, but I figure if I just keep making pickles in it, who cares?



These are some of the cukes from my garden - the pickling cukes and a lemon cucumber, my first so far. It was delicious in a salad. I have a couple more growing but they are still too little to eat. I also have about 15 watermelons growing and a couple of zucchini are starting to grow as well. My beans are finally starting to come in and I have a bunch of green tomatoes. Unfortunately, I don't think it's been hot enough for them to ripen. I might have to make some fried green tomatoes though because I don't want them to go bad. My potatoes are also all over the place and I think I need to thin them out and harvest some. I have no idea when they're ready though, so that will definitely be a learning experience! I'll post some photos of my garden later this month. I'm SO excited for the watermelon!

4 comments:

Boiling Point Productions said...

I need to take a class from you on gardening! My garden doesn't seem to be doing nearly as well as yours and I'm sooooo jealous!

SIZE SIX said...

To be honest - I'm a terrible gardener. I just put stuff in and then hope they grow. I'm a lazy weeder and there is grass growing as tall as my tomato plants! That is probably why the tomatoes aren't ripening. The sun can't shine on the tomatoes because they're hidden by the tomato plant leaves and grass!

Amber/Mama Bear said...

I see future wedding Bloody Mary adornments in our future!! ;) Hint, hint, hint.... :)
All things pickled are wonderful!

Amber/Mama Bear said...

O and they look wonderful by the way! I've been wanting to pickle --carrots, celery, cukes, beans, you name it!